Now more than ever, our children are at risk of spending the rest of their years in poor health
Ask yourself these questions and answer honestly (it is just between you and the computer!)
- Do your kids have frequent emotional roller coasters?
- Do your kids lack concentration at home and school?
- Do your kids have a hard time getting to sleep or waking up frequently during the night?
- Do your kids suffer from allergies?
- Are your kids obese, overweight?
- Do your kids have low immune system (get sick often)?
- Do your kids get stomach aches, constipated?
- Do your kids have noticeable hyperactivity?
- Is your medicine cabinet packed with kid’s medicine?
- Do you want to reduce the risk of your kids having cardiovascular diseases, such as cholesterol, high blood pressure?
- Do you want to reduce the risk of your kids getting cancer and diabetes?
- Do you want your kids to consume healthy and natural food?
If you answer yes to one or more of the questions above, read on!
Impact of food FACTS:
- In 2007, scientific research confirmed that additives such as artificial colors and preservatives added to kids’ food, drinks and medicine are linked to negative behavior changes such as temper tantrums, lack of concentration, hard time getting to sleep, anxiety, speech delay, hyperactivity. Additive-free children are generally calmer, happier and more cooperative.
- Childhood obesity has more than doubled in children and quadrupled in adolescents in the past 30 years
- Youth are more likely to have risk factors for cardiovascular disease, such as high cholesterol or high blood pressure. In a population-based sample of 5- to 17-year-olds, 70% of obese youth had at least one risk factor for cardiovascular disease
- Children and adolescents who are obese are likely to be obese as adults and are therefore more at risk for adult health problems such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, stroke, several types of cancer, and osteoarthritis. One study showed that children who became obese as early as age 2 were more likely to be obese as adults
- Processed meat was classified as carcinogenic to humans, based on sufficient evidence in humans that the consumption of processed meat causes colorectal cancer. Source IARC
- There is no regulation by the FDA for the daily percentage value (%DV) for added sugars
Read more about added sugar from bluelightwave.com
- Research on mixtures of artificial food coloring and preservative sodium benzoate showed that these can affect children’s behavior according to the Southampton Study
- Monsanto is the largest pesticide company in the world and they are manufacturing our food
- They use harmful pesticides, genetic engineering of seeds and crops allowing poisonous and toxic chemicals in our food
- They provide about 90% of GMO seeds in the world
- More than 70% of processed foods in the US contain Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO) ingredients
- US is the only developed country in the world that does NOT have mandatory GMO labeling laws
- Other countries have banned GMOs or have laws requiring mandatory labeling
- Research have revealed severe damage to animals fed GMO foods
- In March 1999, UK researchers at the York Laboratory were alarmed to discover that reactions to soy had skyrocketed by 50% over the previous year. Genetically modified soy had recently entered the UK from US imports and the soy used in the study was largely GM. Source sacfoodcoop
We have a social responsibility to take care of ourselves and teach our kids to do so from early age. Our children deserve and are not only entitled to eat the best nutritious food and healthier drinks we can provide, but breath pure air, free of toxic substances.
Read more about the top food additives changing our children
Clean, conscious eating is NOT a new trend, it is NOT a diet, it is NOT complicated, it is NOT expensive, it is a a lifestyle for a constant and stable better health.
Some common benefits from conscious clean eating:
- Reduce risk of allergies
- Improved immune system
- Improved energy
- Improved focus
- Better mood and mental health
- Better sleep through out the night
- Eliminate toxins
- Reduced risk of chronic diseases
- Reduced risk of diabetes, kidney disease
- Reduced risk of neurological conditions such as Alzheimers
- Fewer sick days
- Clearer skin
- Even loose weight
And if that is not enough:
Less visits to the doctors which means, you save money, no medicines to spend money on, less stress by not having to take days off from work or re-arrange your schedule. Happy and healthy kids, happy parents!
Where to start???
- Start one step at a time (see family juicing challenge)
- Start reducing meals with excess fat, sugar and salt
- Get familiar with ingredient labels (see recognizing the bad ingredients handy card)
- Choose high quality food, the less processed ingredients the better
- Choose organic foods specially those containing high pesticides. Guide to pesticides in produce
- Choose healthier snacks for your family (see some of the suggested snacks)
- Give your family more fruits and vegetables, try different ones
- Drink lots of water, wean off of juices, all sodas, and cow’s milk
- Be patient, it takes time for the palate to change and lose the taste of processed foods
- Enjoy your food, be conscious of what you are eating; remove any electronics or distractions when eating (it is only a few minutes!)
- Knowledge is power! Get involved, be informed, make an impact. How? Start here
Can we feed them 100% clean, mmmh, that is a tough one, as I have always said, we gotta be flexible, being too strict can just backfire, so we need to have a balance, they can have their pizza, their chicken nuggets, ice cream, etc.. as long as we keep in mind about control, the 80/20 rule works very well, 80% clean eating, 20% the rest, with time I have been able to reduce this to 10% some weeks!
My boys are now to the point where they are wanting less processed food and more fresh and natural food. They look at the ingredients on the boxes themselves and can identified the harmful ingredients such as artificial, coloring. If it has a long list of ingredients they don’t even show it to me, as they say, the likelihood of me buying it would be very low anyways. LOL
Where to buy healthier alternatives at reasonable prices?
There are online stores such as Thrive Market and Amazon that sell healthier snacks and environmental focus house products. Thrive Market has perks such healthy products always 25-50% off and Amazon prime has free shipping on a lot of the healthier products and usually arrive to you front door between 2-3 days. There are also stores such as sprouts and Costco. For more healthy and environmental focused shopping choices go to bluelightwave.com shop
Start NOW! The changes you make today will be the results of tomorrow.